Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Discovering an Underwater World in Palm Springs Aboard the Wet Temptations

Early Spanish explorers navigated in the Gulf Stream using its flow to carry them back to Spain. The current eddies and meanders in shore. It can be swift or gentle. Jean carried a dive flag on a surface float attached to a reel that she took underwater. That way Captain Zack could keep track of the divers and follow the flag to pick us up when we surfaced.

Captain Daniel dove with us. There were only two days left in Florida's lobster season and we hoped to make a catch for dinner. There was only a slight current and visibility was amazing. It was spring. Turtles come to the area to mate offshore. Female marine turtles lumber ashore and lay their eggs on the beaches along Florida's coast to begin life anew when babies hatch out and swim back into the ocean.

There it was again. Leatherbacks do not have armored shells, their hide is softer, with ridgelines. The shell is what gives the turtle its name. I took photographs with my SeaLife digital camera. I had it set up with the 16 millimeter fish eye lens. I couldn't get closer. I still had my wetsuit on and was very buoyant so couldn't dive down.

 I returned on board to an atmosphere of happy discovery. All of us were thrilled. We were among the very first divers aboard for Captain Dan's official launch and we sighted a Leatherback turtle. Whatever time it took was generously afforded the adventure."I love diving. I love the ocean. That's why I do this," Captain Daniel said. His face radiated happiness that he could share his new dive vessel and love of the ocean with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers